Asked by one of my customers.
Disabled USB Redirection
Horizon View pool policy can be used to disable USB redirection for a specific pool. This can be configured from the VMware Horizon View Administrator UI:
Or, during installation of the View Agent on the Horizon View desktop, you can de-select the USB redirection components. Without these components installed, it is absolutely not possible to do USB redirection!
Disabled CD/DVD Devices
There’s several ways:
- Use VMware View Group Policy administrative templates (.adm), add the ADM template files to GPOs to restricting access to CD/DVD Devices.
- If using RDP, use the same View Client (vdm_client.adm) administrative template to disable the ‘Redirect supported plug-and-play devices’
- Use Active Directory Group Policy Objects (GPO), applied to View Desktops OU’s, such as:
- Administrative Templates | System | Removable Storage Access
- Administrative Templates | Windows Components | Remote Desktop Services | Device and Resource Redirection
- Administrative Templates | System | Device Installation | Device Installation Restrictions
- Use your Thin Client or Zero Client vendor’s management software to restrict access to, or disable, USB devices on Thin Clients.
Typically I use Active Directory GPO to control the desktop include disable USB devices, CD/DVD ROM, etc.