If you want to have your own dropbox or skydrive, you can install OwnCloud. Its open source but powerful. You can sync, share and access everywhere. And most interesting, it is free!!!
Some good features that I like from OwnCloud which I have built it in our public cloud:
- LDAP/Active Directory
- Migration or Backup
- File versioning
- Share and Secure
Yes, you can compare it with Dropbox, ShareIt, easyShare or even VMware Horizon Suite/Workspace (aka VMware Octopus)
You can install OwnCloud in many ways like:
- Virtual Machines Appliances
- Mac OS X
- Windows 7
- Windows 2008
In summary, the steps to install OwnCloud in Windows 7 or Windows 2008:
- Install OS Windows, vanilla version
- Install IIS with CGI Support
- Install PHP
- Install MySQL
- Install OwnCloud -> You can download the software from http://owncloud.org
- Configure upload size and timeout
Some use case for Cloud Solution with OwnCloud (which I have discussed with customer)
- Backup on Cloud, typically if you have physical servers. You just install the agent in OS Level then define the folder you want to backup on Cloud.
- DR on Cloud, for this case typically customer only need a file backup such as DB file, XML file, etc. So on Cloud we just provide the cold standby configured VMs, when DR strike you just copy the file in your VMs.
- Storage on the Cloud. OwnCloud is more than enough to manage your files on Cloud. So customer only pay for capacity.
- File versioning. Good to track the history and version.
You can download the detail configuration or user/admin manual at owncloud.org. Enjoy.