To allow the root user to login to a VMware ESX Server over the network using SSH, do the following:
- Go to the service console on the physical server & login
- nano /etc/ssh/sshd_config
- Change the line that says PermitRootLogin from “no” to “yes”
- do service sshd restart or etc/init.d/sshd restart
1. Firewall allow SSH Services.
2. Allowing root logins via SSH is not considered. (security best practice)
3. Users should create non-privileged accounts to use with SSH (not root), then use su or sudo once you have logged into the console.