- Verify the format and content of /etc/hosts.The hosts file is expected to have the following format:
127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
192.168.1.10 server.domain.com server
- Verify the contents of /etc/sysconfig/network. Confirm that the proper values for your environment exist for the fully qualified hostname and gateway. Consult your network administrator if you are unsure. For example:
- Verify that /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-vswif0 has the correct settings for IP address (IPADDR), subnet mask (NETMASK), and network (NETWORK). Consult your network administrator if you are unsure. For example:
- Run the following command to display the routing table:[root@server root]# route –n
You will see output similar to the following:
Kernel IP routing table
Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface
192.168.1.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 vswif0
169.254.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.0.0 U 0 0 0 vswif0
0.0.0.0 192.168.1.1 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 vswif0 Ensure that the second column of the row flagged with UG matches the gateway address for your environment.
- Verify the DNS information in /etc/resolv.conf is correct for your environment.
- Verify network connectivity between systems with PING command.